DRM - Reselling Your Digital Games and Apps - New Rights Coming Soon?
On Tuesday 3rd July a major story with huge significance for gamers took place in an EU Court. Possibly "the biggest gaming news of the year", said one reporter to another. No surprise, that this story will not covered by big game network sites. The dispute was to do with reselling software after the first sale, should it be allowed or not allowed? The case “Oracle Vs UsedSoft”, went in favour of UsedSoft who have been reselling Oracle Software pre-owned, without permission from Oracle.
The moral of the verdict is that:- The rights of control end once the first sale from the distributor has happened. The distributor (Oracle) still has the copyright laws preventing unauthorised reproduction. However, the resale of used games, software, apps etc is okay, providing you delete it prior to reselling; said the verdict.
Reselling your digital games and apps will take some time before you can, because there is no way to do it so far. If you want to read the full legal mumbo jumbo, check his blog: http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2012/07/legality-of-second-hand-sales-in-eu.html
Explore Frequently Bought Items
- Nintendo Classic Mini Super Nintendo Entertainment System SNES
- Xbox One S 500GB Console Bundle Minecraft
- PS4 Slim 500GB Console With FIFA 18
- New 3DS XL Orange/Black Console
- Sim Free Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Mobile Phone- Midnight Black
- PS4 Console 500GB With Call Of Duty WWII
- PS4 Pro 1TB Console
- Xbox One S 500GB Forza Horizon 3 & Hot Wheels
- Xbox One 1TB Console
- New Nintendo 3DS XL Pearl White Console
- Samsung Tab A 10.1 Inch 16GB Tablet White
- Sim Free Samsung Galaxy J5 2017 Mobile Phone - Gold